Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Warning: a post in which I mostly whine about a sewing slump

I've been in a bit of a sewing slump lately.

I have lots of beautiful fabric, and I know exactly what I want each of them to become, but I can't bring myself to start anything because I know I can't finish it.

I need zippers and buttons, and maybe some wooden poles. I also need matching thread. And probably other things I'm forgetting. Which is sort of the point: every time I go out, the stores either don't have what I want or I forget to purchase it.

I know you're looking at this and going, "Psh. Just go to the store. Stop whining."

But look. It started with this:


I have this beautiful lilac jersey. I drafted a dress pattern and it all came together beautifully. But then I went to the store to get matching thread, and they didn't have any. No worries. I got thread that would make a nice contrast. I had a scrap there to compare it to. And then I tested it on scraps when I got home. It looked beautiful.

But then... then I topstitched the collar and it looks awful. Awful!

I don't know what to do with it. Unpicking it isn't an option. (Long story.) I guess I should get some bias tape, but does that work on jersey? What color should I get? Black and brown are too limiting, and I feel like another pink or purple would be too match-y.

Anyway, I know this sounds terribly obnoxious, but this is the first time I've really screwed up on something and I'm not entirely sure how to proceed to salvage it. As a result, I cannot proceed on anything else.

Anyone else had this happen? How do you get out of your slump?

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kristin,
    I am so in the same boat right now!!!! I do know how you feel the only difference I see in your life & mine right now is I have been sewing for years with my mom & grandmother they are both home in Heaven now. God did give me 2 beautiful grand baby's in two years so I got tons of stuff to sew them and I am so afraid to start because I will screw up fabric and that's money wasted in this day I can't see ruining it. But my hubby says its already wasted because it just sits there!!! I wish I had an answer for you but I don't at this moment in time... I just keep think THIS TO SHALL PASS so I wait and grumble to myself often!!!! Take care Linda Lee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh by the way I really like your skirt !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kristine, I like your bias tape idea, how about binding the edges with the same fabric (sort of bias tape from the purple fabric )?. You can then slip stitch the binding by hand thus no need for matching thread.
    Don't know if it would work, just an idea.

    ReplyDelete